Gender identity safety issues

Antonija Jakovcevic, Staff Writer

De Anza college LGBT Studies program and the Rainbow Club organized a panel discussion regarding sexual orientation and gender identity issues as part of Pride Month at De Anza College on Wednesady, June 11.

Some panelists asked to not be named.

The students exchanged experiences of reflecting diversity within community and of not being “dominate” in their society.

People they are surrounded by mostly have been judgmental and prejudiced, several said.

“Gender and sexuality should not be correlated,” said a panelist.  “Those are two different things. Also, you cannot make judgments based on labels. The only way you can find out who I am is through interaction.”

“People think they are doing good things, yet they say things that may be very harmful to someone,” said Kristen Korz, 22, nursing major.

Tara Swan, 20, photographer major, said both her parents were a bit nervous about her sharing her sexual orientation, but they accepted it.

Another panelist said her family accepted her choices better than her friends. Especially her grandmother, who didn’t care much because she herself once had a homosexual relationship.

The main issue the students said they confront on daily basis is lack of safety.

“There are many advantages to being one of those who reflect diversity within community, but there is still the safety issue,” said Korz.

Another panelist said: “Sometimes people tell me I am lucky now that I have more of a choice. Yes, I do have more sexual choices and freedom, but I do not have the freedom to walk safely down the street.’’

Swan said, “I like the word ‘respect.’ You are the one that should show respect towards me, towards others, towards yourself. That should be your responsibility on this planet.”

One of the organizers, professor Julie Lewis said, “It is really great that my students, along with De Anza’s Rainbow Club, were celebrating, supporting and leading the event. For this reason, the event seemed more empowered and impactful. Students being the organizers makes a big difference.“