Three De Anza College faculty honored with teaching awards

Janet Takahashi has worked with students with learning disabilities at De Anzas Educational Diagnostic Center

Courtesy of Deanza.edu

Janet Takahashi has worked with students with learning disabilities at De Anza’s Educational Diagnostic Center

Randi Vanible, Staff Writer

Three De Anza College faculty members were recently named recipients of the League of Innovation John and Suanne Roueche Excellence Awards.

Jesus “Chuy” Quintero, Sal Breiter and Janet Takahashi met or exceeded the award’s criteria by exhibiting excellence in education and leadership at a community college.

Jesus Quintero, an English instructor, has worked with oppressed youth for decades, collaborating with orthodox school models and has worked with incarcerated youth to provide a voice for those often ignored.

DA-faculty-award2
Jesus “Chuy” Quintero, English instructor.

“My pedagogy stems from a pressing desire to teach my students concepts that were never introduced to me as a student,” Quintero said. “It’s through these interactions and deep ties with my students that an authentic, genuine voice is transmitted. I know the emphasis of a college is on the intellect, but I would like to take into account other areas of our being that determine our safety and peace and incorporate that for, hopefully, optimized learning.”

Sal Breiter is chair of the Humanities Department and has worked at De Anza for 13 years. He teaches creative minds.

Humanities instructor, Sal Breiter.
Humanities instructor, Sal Breiter.

“I see myself as a lifetime teacher; it is a focal point for me to help students live their dreams and aspirations,” Breiter said. “It is an opportunity to do what is valuable. I work to help provide students with skills, abilities and encouragement for real life issues in life. I never get bored, it’s constantly shifting because it is unique work.”

Janet Takahashi has worked with students with learning disabilities at De Anza’s Educational Diagnostic Center since 1974, but will be retiring this June.

“I’ve felt very honored and gratified to receive this award,” she said.  “There have been so many faculty members who have contributed their efforts as well. I hope after I retire that my projects and policies that I’ve worked on have a lasting effect in assisting students with disabilities to attend college and keep working hard.”

The John and Suanne Roueche Excellence Awards were established in 2012 and are only open to League Alliance member institutions.

According to the League for Innovation website, recipients are recognized in activities and promotions, and are honored at special events at the League’s annual spring conference.