Team captain Deeric Crockett brings positive attitude to track

Team+captain+Deeric+Crockett+brings+positive+attitude+to+track+

Elizabeth Cardenas, Staff Writer

Athletes aren’t often made team captain in their first year joining a new team, but De Anza College track and field head coach Nick Mattis made an exception in the case of sophomore sprinter
Deeric Crockett.

“Crockett is such a good leader, he is so positive,” Mattis said. “He cares about the team so much more than he cares about himself. He is one of the greatest kids I’ve been able to coach.  Since day one, I knew Deeric would be a great team member.”

Crockett was born and raised in Casa Grande, Ariz.  He eventually made the move to the Bay Area so he could enjoy California’s beautiful weather.

He originally attended Foothill, but transferred to De Anza so he could run track for the Dons.

Crockett began running at a young age, realizing early on that he loved to run.

“Track was calling my name,” Crockett said.  “I love to compete and stay in shape.  Track is not easy for everyone, so I try to be the best that I can be and push myself past my limits.”

DeericHe participates in the 100-meter, 200-meter and 4×100 meter relay, all of which are sprinting events.  Crockett said his favorite event is the 4×100 meter relay because it’s a team event.

On the track, Crockett is admired by Mattis and teammates for his hard work ethic as a team captain and his positive attitude as a team member.

“A lot of times, when you have an athlete as great as Crockett on your team, they can be egotistical.  But he is not like that; he is the complete opposite of that,” said teammate James Asselin. “He is one of the greatest runners I have been blessed to share the track with.”

As a college student and a college athlete, Crockett, majoring in Kiesiology, doesn’t let stress get to him when he has an important assignment due or has a hard workout coming up for practice.

“I just stay calm and try to do my best on and off the track,” he said.

Crockett said his dream is to transfer to the University of Oregon and run for its track program, currently ranked the sixth best track program in the nation.

Crockett said his season goal is to break all of the sprint records for De Anza. But most of all, he would like to win a NorCal title as a team for coach Mattis and for his teammates.